Vegan Chocolate Mousse (refined sugar-free too!)
This recipe, like many of my other great recipes, happened purely by accident.
I made a delicious vegan, refined sugar-free Hot Chocolate then put the leftovers in the fridge for later. When I went to get it to heat it up again, it was solid in state and I realized that it was as good (if not better) than the Hot Chocolate.
Because I like really easy recipes and the idea of cooking once and eating multiple times, I did some simple tweaks and this Chocolate Mousse was born. It has been a HIT every time I bring it with me to parties.
Some things to know:
* I make it in a Vitamix—I haven’t tried it in a regular blender so I can’t guarantee what it will turn out like (a friend did it and said it was good–she did say she had to half the recipe though because a regular blender doesn’t hold as much as a Vitamix).
* It makes A LOT. 8 cups to be exact. While that may seem like a lot, when you try it, you will be glad that you have so much. What I typically do is portion out 1 cup servings and have one (or two, lol) each day (#addicted). It’s super rich but I can’t stop once I start eating it 🙂
* If you want to make less (why would you want to do that?), simply half the recipe.
* I use Rapunzel’s brand Cocoa Powder, I’ve never used any other brand–each brand of cocoa powder will change the taste a bit.
* Use refined coconut oil if you don’t want the coconut-y flavor.
* Feel free to add your own flavorings to change it up–I’m a big fan of mint and chocolate together or cinnamon, the possibilities are endless. I’ve only tried this so far so don’t ask me about recipes for other flavors, but I have no doubt you can make lots of different varieties of this. I’d love to hear what you come up with!
Please share this with those you love—they will be glad you did!
(dairy-free, re-fined sugar-free)
(makes 8- 1 cup servings)
1 cup cashews (if you want to have added nutritional benefits, soak them overnight)
4 cups water
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup Coconut Oil, solid
16 pitted Medjool Dates
Pinch of Sea Salt
Blend cashews and water together for 3-4 minutes.
Add in cocoa powder, coconut oil, dates and pinch of sea salt, blend for another 3-4 minutes.
Pour into a container (or containers) & refrigerate until solid then enjoy!
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Feel free to eat as is, or add a dollop of Coconut Whip Cream. Enjoy.
Would love to hear how you changed this up to make your own!